[Rd] Fwd: R and Java

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 5 19:49:32 CEST 2005

Laurent Jourdren wrote:
>>I am a grad student and am working on a project where i need to integrate
>>java and R. I have a front end in java and i need to call R functions and
>>be able to dispaly the plots and graphs produced by R on my java front end.
>>I came across some tools like SJava and rserve...but am not sure which best
>>suits my application. Your suggestion will be really helpful.
>

> 	The only valuable choice to integrate java and R is rserve.
>
> 	With RSjava,  data don't persist between 2 two commands, so you can't set a
> variable in R from java in one instruction and re-use this data in the next
> instruction.

Unfortunately, this is simply not correct.
Objects don't persist in the global namespace between commands.
The computational model does not use R variables in the
global environment because that is well-established as a poor
approach to software engineering and programming.
Unfortunately it is the approach most inter-system interfaces
have taken and that many users expect.
SJava has a much more flexible computational model
that allows the use of references in the local
language to objects in the foreign system.
And this allows one, for example, to pass R functions as Java
methods, e.g for use in an optimizer implemented in Java
but the function to be optimized being written in R.

Rserve has a different, more traditional computational model
for distributed computing.