[Rd] svn version number

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 7 18:02:27 CEST 2005

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> Is there some way of automatically including the svn version number
> of a package in the DESCRIPTION file or otherwise so that one
> can check from within R which svn version number one has?

You could do this by writing it into your Makefile, but there's no other
existing support for it.  I'd recommend combining the URL reported by
"svn info" with the result of svnversion to get the most informative
version.  Watch out for cases of people who are trying to make your
package from a tarfile, rather than an svn checkout.  We have ended up
with some fairly tricky Makefile programming to get what we want into
the R banner.

Duncan Murdoch