[Rd] Subscripting fails if name of element is "" (PR#8161)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 18:30:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I haven't been following this conversation in order, but I think there's
> another bug here besides the one(s?) you identified:
>
> Jens had this example:
>
>> x <- 1:4
>> names(x) <- c(NA, "NA", "a", "")
>> x[names(x)]
> <NA> <NA>    a <NA>
>   1    1    3   NA
>
> Shouldn't the second entry in the result be 2, with name "NA"?  It seems the
> string "NA" has been converted to <NA> here.

Yes, but I don't see it in PR#8161 where there is no name "NA" that I can
see.  (In other words it is not an instance of the subject line.)

The issue is that <NA> is matching "NA", and it should not.  As in the
code

Rboolean NonNullStringMatch(SEXP s, SEXP t)
{
     if (CHAR(s)[0] && CHAR(t)[0] && strcmp(CHAR(s), CHAR(t)) == 0)
 	return TRUE;
     else
 	return FALSE;
}