[Rd] Help page links to index.html are dead (PR#8196)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 08:58:47 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> kwright68 at gmail.com wrote:
>> Full_Name: Kevin Wright
>> Version: 2.2.0
>> OS: windows
>> Submission from: (NULL) (66.185.0.208)
>>

>> On the help pages for R is a little circle with an up arrow that links to:
>>
>> file:///C:/R/R220/doc/html/index.htmlu
>
> That's a typo in Kevin's message:  the link is to .../doc/html/index.html.
> The link is correct, but the file was not installed.  The Makefile creates it
> as a copy of rwin.html.  Do you remember why we have both files?  This bug
> has been around for a while...

Yes, rwin.html contains an additional link to rw-FAQ.html.  Now the
Windows index.html should be the same: indeed, it is installed as such by
fixed/Makefile.  So it's a bug in building the installer.

If you are asking why rwin.html is needed: until recently the sources
contained doc/html/index.html so it was likely to be restored.

It seems to me there is another error in the message: the help pages
contain no such link (which threw me for a while).  It does appear on the
summary page for a package, and on packages.html.