[Rd] Post processing need for installing packages in rpms.

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Tue Oct 11 16:44:57 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, [UTF-8] José Matos wrote:
>
>> Hello,        I maintain some packages in Fedora Extras for R related
>> modules.
>>        Until R 2.2.0 I used for post processing (both after installing
>>        andremoving the package) the following lines:
>> %{_bindir}/R CMD perl %{_libdir}/R/share/perl/build-help.pl
>> --htmllistscat %{_libdir}/R/library/*/CONTENTS >
>> %{_libdir}/R/doc/html/search/index.txt
>>        Typically %{_bindir} is /usr/bin and %{_libdir} is /usr/lib
>>        or/usr/lib64 The purpose of those lines is to enable the access to
>>        the moduledocumentation from R help. The first refers to html and
>>        the second to thetext help variant. With R 2.2.0 build-help.pl no
>>        longer has the --htmllists option. Isthere any easy replacement,
>>        or is there any other method to achieve the sameresults?
>
> It is no longer needed: the information is now built by R at runtime.

  It is good to know that. My work becomes easier now. :-)

>>        FWIW, I have searched trough the release notes as well as through
>>        thedocumentation for sys admins and for package developers without
>>        anysuccess.
>
> For an outsider it might not be obvious that the NEWS entry
>
>      o   R_HOME/doc/html/packages.html is now remade by R not Perl code.
>          This may result in small changes in layout and a change in
>          encoding (to UTF-8 where supported).
>
> refers to this.  (Note that build-help.pl --htmllists was never documented
> as part of R's API.)

  Actually I notice that line, it looked suspicious but then I got
distracted by the last sentence and I have focused on the layout changes.
"A posteriori" it is easy to justify most of our failures. :-)

> I checked Martyn Plummer's R.spec on CRAN, but that is out-of-date.
> Please look at the R.spec in his current SRPM, which works for me.

  Where do I get it?

  I checked the spec files in
http://cran.at.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/SRPMS/R.spec
http://cran.at.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/SRPMS/R-2.2.0-2.fc3.src.rpm

  since they have different dates, and they both show the same line with the
--htmlists parameter:

# Update package indices
%{_bindir}/R CMD perl %{_libdir}/R/share/perl/build-help.pl --htmllists
> /dev/null 2>/dev/null

[Last line was wrapped by my email composer.]

--
José Abílio