[Rd] MiKTeX/yap/Ghostcript issues with R-generated postscript

Dominick Samperi dsamperi at DecisionSynergy.com
Wed Oct 12 01:29:39 CEST 2005

Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Dominick Samperi wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder if anybody has encountered this problem?
>>
>> While MiKTeX/yap/Ghostscript seems to work fine on most TeX files
>> that I have
>> tested (including a great deal of postscript graphics), there is one
>> file where the
>> graphics works ok for all postscript files except one, the only one
>> that is generated
>> by R. I get an error "Some postscript specials could not be
>> rendered", and the
>> details of the error message are in the attached file.
>>
>> This same dvi file displays fine under Linux.
>>
>> I'm using yap from MiKTeX 2.4 with the "most popular" installation
>> option.
>>

> Hmmm, has not happened for me within the last couple of years I was
> using R + MikTeX 2.4 ...
>
> Can you specify a reproducible example for the R code that produces
> that PostScript file, please?
> [Wild guess: Maybe you forgot to close the device by dev.off()?]
>
> Uwe Ligges
Thank you Uwe,

Your wild guess is correct! I was not closing the device, and the
postscript file indeed did not
have proper trailers. I am surprised that this did not cause problems on
the Linux side...

Dominick