[Rd] R, Wine, and multi-threadedness.

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 18:12:38 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:45 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> <snipped>
> >> Now, the interesting questions are: (1) is Atlas multi-threaded on
> >> *every* platform, or more specifically, on Windows?,
> >

> > By default it is not multi-threaded on any platform, and we have not
> > succeeded in compiling a multi-threaded version on Windows except by
> > using Cygwin extensions (i.e. not actually on Windows).
>
> Thanks for the explanations. As I said, my main interests in running
> R under Wine is mostly about having a GUI, but the multi-threading
> possibility is an interesting discussion; also re-compiling
> the whole lot (either for win32 or linux) just for the *possibility* of
> speeding up is a bit painful, so having drop-in dll replacement
> (or a shared-library replacement) for trying-out sounds rather attractive.

Sorry for jumping in here and no disrespect intended to anyone, but I am
confused relative to the desire and benefits of running R under Wine on
Linux simply for the sake of using the RGui.exe menus, when there are
other substantive tradeoffs relative to running R natively on Linux, as
Prof. Ripley has noted.

The one "advantage" that I had seen some time ago, was the possibility
of being able to generate metafile graphics for inclusion with MS Office
apps by using the native Windows libs (in a dual-boot scenario as I
recall). However other substantively better options for generating high
quality graphics have been proposed and discussed here frequently.

If you want a more "full featured" GUI, if you are uncomfortable coding
from the command line, there is a list available at:

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/

some of which are cross-platform compatible.

Marc