[Rd] Installing R-2.2.0 package

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Thu Oct 13 18:32:00 CEST 2005

I'm using SunOS 5.8, R compiled as a 32 bit app, and I didn't intend to
set up anything special. Below is an example installing RMySQL (twice).
The error the second time is because of the lock file. I think

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RMySQL'
/apps/asd/unix/gnu/R/SunOS-sparc32/R-2.2.0/bin/INSTALL: test: argument
expected

may be a clue.

(BTW. If there is a simple answer to  the libz problem then I would
appreciate hearing.)

Paul Gilbert

 > install.packages(c("RMySQL"), Sys.getenv("R_LIBS"), repos =
"http://cran.at.r-project.org")
trying URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/RMySQL_0.5-5.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 280328 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 273Kb

* Installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for compress in -lz... no
checking for getopt_long in -lc... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql.h... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no

Configuration error:
   Could not locate the library "libz" required by MySQL.

INSTRUCTIONS:

   The "libz" library is required by the MySQL client library
   in order to compress/uncompress connections between clients
   and the MySQL engine.

   Make sure you have "libz" installed properly and/or included
   in your $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Perhaps it is not in any of the
   standard directories (e.g., /usr/lib/, /usr/local/lib)?

Aborting the installation of RMySQL.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RMySQL'
/apps/asd/unix/gnu/R/SunOS-sparc32/R-2.2.0/bin/INSTALL: test: argument
expected

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/Rtmp26660/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'RMySQL' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(c("RMySQL"), Sys.getenv("R_LIBS"), repos =
"http://cran.at.r-project.org")
 > install.packages(c("RMySQL"), Sys.getenv("R_LIBS"), repos =
"http://cran.at.r-project.org")
trying URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/RMySQL_0.5-5.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 280328 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 273Kb

ERROR: failed to lock directory
'/home/asd9/gnu/R/SunOS-sparc32/R-2.2.0/site-library' for modifying
Try removing '/home/asd9/gnu/R/SunOS-sparc32/R-2.2.0/site-library/00LOCK'