[Rd] Building R on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 14 12:45:38 CEST 2005

Jennifer Lai wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>>Is there something like config.log for Windows port?
>>

>>No.  You will need to start again and show us what happens around the
>>boot it says it is bootstrapping.
>>

>>>I didn't see anything suspcicious that helped me in finding where
>>>shared library tools should be built.
>>>There were couple of warning messges related to dlapack, but these
>>>are not related to tools, right?
>>>
>>>In file included from dlapack0.f:0:
>>>dlapack0.f:203: warning: 'ipv' might be used uninitialized in this
>>>function
>>>dlapack0.f:203: warning: 'jpv' might be used uninitialized in this
>>>function
>>>dlapack0.f:204: warning: 'smin' might be used uninitialized in this
>>>function
>>

>>You will get many of those.
>>

> I was able to build R for Windows successfully with a clean copy of
> R-2.2.0, rather than using "make clean" to remove all object files.

Generally to start over after important changes you'll need "make
distclean".  "make clean" is intended to be used at the end of a build,
to remove unnecessary files, but to leave all the important parts in
place.  Since some of those parts are used in the build process (and in
your case one of them was not built correctly), make clean wasn't enough.

Duncan Murdoch