[Rd] Compilation of R-2.2.0 under SUSE 10

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Oct 14 15:30:21 CEST 2005

Rainer M Krug <rkrug at sun.ac.za> writes:

> Could you give me a hint what I should look for? I am quite new to Linux.
>
> Rainer

As long as you can see where it goes wrong, just ask again, citing the
relevant bit of the log. Finding this is a bit convoluted for the
FPICFLAGS issue because the failing test is just for whether the
variable was set earlier, which AFAICS should happen here:

## Step 2.  GNU compilers.
if test "${GCC}" = yes; then
  cpicflags="-fPIC"
  shlib_ldflags="-shared"
fi
if test "${G77}" = yes; then
  fpicflags="-fPIC"
fi
if test "${GXX}" = yes; then
  cxxpicflags="-fPIC"
  shlib_cxxldflags="-shared"
fi

Now, the natural guess is that ${G77} wasn't set earlier on, so look
for the place where it figures out the Fortran compiler.