[Rd] MBCS support and iconv

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 16 17:49:18 CEST 2005

I am considering requiring HAVE_ICONV as part of SUPPORT_MBCS for 2.3.0.
This would require the iconv from glibc or libiconv if multi-byte
character sets (notably UTF-8) are to be usable.

As far as I know this would only affect commercial Unixen, where libiconv
could be installed. (We know that Linux, Mac OS X and Windows would be
unaffected.  I suspect from its man pages that FreeBSD nowadays has
libiconv installed, despite comments to the contrary in libiconv
propaganda.) If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know soon.

This is mainly to simplify support (including documentation) and testing.
There are too many paths through the code, and only that using iconv gets
more than cursory testing.  Also, problems with wide-char support in some
OSes are becoming apparent and we can circumvent them by using iconv to do
conversions.

There are already a number of new internationalization features in
R-patched/R-devel (thanks in good part to Ei-ji Nakama), including support
for postscript()/pdf() in non-Latin-1 languages.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk