[Rd] on ptr_R_WriteErrConsole (was: Re: RFC: API to allow identification of warnings and errors in the output stream)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 18 12:06:59 CEST 2005

> I second the point about not having made a case, and also that (from the
> part deleted below) about needing to understand the internals before
> proposing changes.

I'll try to make the case below point d). I fully accept rejection of the more
daring part of my proposal, but the part about ptr_R_WriteErrConsole is
really straightforward, and I have really made sure to understand the
internal going ons, here.
My reply will be lengthy, because this really is important to me.

> a) I took a quick look at the patch, and it seems to be only half the
> story.  R_WriteConsole is also supported under Windows, in a different
> (and more flexible) way.  I think the part not covered is a lot more
> problematic, as I don't see how to introduce R_WriteErrConsole in a
> backwards compatible way.

I admit I've been neglectant to the Windows code. I don't have a windows
machine to compile and test any changes I make in my local sources, and that
lead me to be careless. so probably the patch is not correct.
Do I believe there is still a backwards compatible way to introduce
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole / R_WriteErrConsole?

void R_WriteErrConsole(char *buf, int len) {ptr_R_WriteErrConsole(buf, len);}
/* standard initialization: */
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole = R_WriteConsole;

*R_WriteConsole*. This ensures that if you do not touch the new
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole, you get *exactly* the old behavior. I can't be much
easier than that.

> b) There are several inaccuracies in the account.  First, `channels' are
> not what we are talking about here.  sink() allow output and messages to
> be sent to different connections, but the console is connected to fixed
> terminal connections stdout() and stderr().  There is a long-standing
> design for R consoles (sketched in src/unix/system.txt) that has all the
> output going to the console.  This is even true of the standard Unix
> terminal front end.  The only circumstances in which stdout() and stderr()
> are separated are when R is used for scripting.  Part of the motivation
> for this is to ensure that stdout() and stderr() appear in an integrated
> way (in particular, interleaved in the correct order) on a console.

Ok, so I have been simplifying, and using my own terminology. What I'm saying
is, output generally goes two routes *throughout* R sources:

"message":
[warnings]->...->REprintf->REvprintf
[errors]->...->REprintf->REvprintf
REprintf->REvprintf

"output":
[print]->...->Rprintf->Rvprintf
Rprintf->Rvprintf

So it is not like I'm making up any new distinction, here. I'm referring to an
existing one, avaible via already public API. See also this comment from
printutils.c:

/* =========
 * Printing:
 * =========
 *
 * All printing in R is done via the functions Rprintf and REprintf
 * or their (v) versions Rvprintf and REvprintf.
 * These routines work exactly like (v)printf(3).  Rprintf writes to
 * ``standard output''.	 It is redirected by the sink() function,
 * and is suitable for ordinary output.	 REprintf writes to
 * ``standard error'' and is useful for error messages and warnings.
 * It is not redirected by sink().

All I'm dealing with is, what should happen in REvprintf, the last station in
what I call the "message route":

Currently it is basically (and yes, I'm simplifying again):
void REvprintf(const char *format, va_list arg)
{