[Rd] [R-gui] R GUI considerations (was: R, Wine, and multi-threadedness)

Peter Kleiweg pkleiweg at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 15:56:55 CEST 2005

James Wettenhall schreef op de 20e dag van de wijnmaand van het jaar 2005:

[...]
> providing a GUI to them, getting started in R is less
> intimidating for them, so then we can hopefully spend less
> time doing mundane numerical computing tasks for our
> collaborators and have more time to do our own serious
> research.  And we can even publish our work on developing GUIs
> which we have - just a short article in Bioinformatics OUP so
> far - and John Fox has published a full-length article on
> Rcmdr in the Journal of Statistical Software - great stuff!
>
> Does that make sense?

To me, it does not make sense. When I have to work with
something like Word, I am intimidated by lots of buttons with
cryptic icons, with menus and submenus I can't make heads or
tails of, the program doing weird things with my text I don't
understand. A simple, friendly prompt is much more inviting.
Give me a well-organised documentation, and let me do my thing.

A GUI fits in a big-is-better marketing strategy. The more
intimidating a GUI looks, the better. As a user, I always feel a
prisoner of such monstrosities. Hundreds of options, but I
cannot find the ones I actually need, with no possibility to use
other software tools as auxiliaries.

I find, the biggest problems with operating on large and complex
sets of data (like you do in R), are things like digitisation of
the data, preparation, transformation, selection. You usually
have to do quite some work on the data before you have something
R can handle. This preparation is best done with the tools you
feel comfortable with, a simple editor, shell scripts, Perl,
make, etc. Once you have your data prepared, invoking another
command through the command line is a small step. You can go
forward and backward, doing data preparation and processing the
prepared data with something like R, iteratively. Look at GRASS
as an excellent example.

You want all the preprocessing done in a GUI? I don't see how
that is possible in a way that makes sense. How do you tell the
GUI what your raw data looks like? How do you tell it to prepare
the data for processing by R? Does the user have to learn the
GUI's own scripting language and filters?

If you want users to be productive, you have to give them
something they can easily incorporate within the tools they use
on a daily basis. No big applications with everything locked in,
but a set of programs or commands that do specific tasks, with
an easy to understand input and output. You need something that
works in an open environment, so the user can use existing
skills. With a GUI that does "everything", the user has to learn
from scratch all the things that make "everything" happen.

--
Peter Kleiweg
http://www.let.rug.nl/~kleiweg/