[Rd] Single vs. dual CPUs

Milton Lopez mlopez at iattc.org
Fri Oct 21 19:35:10 CEST 2005

I've posted this earlier and have not heard much so far. I'd really appreciate any guidance on this as we are about to order new hardware.

We are buying Dell workstations with Red Hat Linux and 64-bit Xeon CPUs to run R. We could add a second processor to each system, or buy slightly faster single CPU systems. Is it possible to make a generalized statement as to what kind of performance improvement we would see with a single vs. dual processors when running R on these systems?

Thanks again.

Milton F. López
IT Guy
Inter-American Tuna Commission (IATTC)
8604 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Tel: (858) 546-7041, Fax: (858) 546-7133
mlopez at iattc.org
http://www.iattc.org