[Rd] [R-gui] R GUI considerations (was: R, Wine, and multi-threadedness)

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sat Oct 22 11:55:57 CEST 2005

Walter,

With the various answers you got to your "simple" question, you notice
that there are several ways to feed commands into R and retrieve the
results. If you just need to occasionnally feed commands that does not
take a long time to process, and can afford to frozen your GUI during
those calculations, this is a pretty simple way to solve the problem.

Things get more complicated when you add features to your GUI that
require reintrancy (execute another command in R while the current one
is not completed), asynchronous treatment (your GUI is not frozen and is
not just "waiting for the answer" during long R calculations -well, a
multithreade app using synchronous treatment works here too-),
cancellation of long R treatments (like ESC under RGui, or Ctrl-C on the
console), etc... A serious GUI needs all that, and its makes
communication between R and your GUI more complex than just feeding
commands and waiting for results.

One example: with SciViews-R, you have an object explorer that updates
automatically, you have "calltips" (the syntax of a function is
displayed in a tip when you enter something like 'myfunction('), you
have completion lists, etc... All these features require the execution
of R commands at any time, even if R is busy processing a long
calculation. To get these features, I had to write a little bit more
complex communication system with R. So, in practice, things are not so
simple!

I wonder how you can add all these features to a GUI that use R just as
an occasional backend calculator.
- How your GUI would know about the syntax of all functions (including
your own custom ones) without asking the info to R?
- How the GUI would know what variables to propose in a list in a dialog
box without asking R using something like 'ls()', or 'names(mydataframe)'?
- How to implement an object explorer that lists variables in the
various environments, give some details about these variables, propose a
contextual menu (that is, a list of function depending on the class of
the object, the environment, the context of your analysis, ...), etc...
without using a lot of reintrant communication with R?

Best,

Philippe Grosjean