[Rd] Problems with example(Grid) in grid package

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 24 22:22:48 CEST 2005

Hi

hadley wickham wrote:
 > I've also noticed the behaviour of grid.rect() has changed in 2.2.0.
 > Before the fill defaulted to transparent, but now it defaults to
 > white.

The initial value of the 'gp' settings for the ROOT grid viewport has
changed in 2.2.0 (see grid/doc/changes.txt).  Before it defaulted to
transparent, but now it defaults to whatever the 'bg' is for the current
device (on some, e.g., png() this is "white", though I'm not sure why
right now) so on some devices something like grid.rect() behaves
differently.

If before you had something like ...

   <draw, draw, draw ...>
   # Now I think I'll draw a nice border around the outside
   grid.rect()

... you should either do ...

   # I'll draw a rectangle first in case there is a non-transparent
   # fill in effect;  NOTE that if I was writing perfect grid code
   # I would always be aware that I might be being drawn in a viewport
   # that was defined by someone else who might have, for example,
   # defined a non-transparent fill, so it's not entirely
   # grid's fault that things suddenly aren't working as I planned
   grid.rect()
   <draw, draw, draw ...>

... or ...

   <draw, draw, draw ...>
   # Now I think I'll draw a nice border around the outside
   # AND I really want JUST the border;  I have absolutely no
   # intention of filling this rectangle, no matter what the
   # current fill setting happens to be
   grid.rect(gp=gpar(fill="transparent"))

Paul

 > On 10/21/05, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >>The following:
 >>
 >>library(grid)
 >>grid.newpage()
 >>example(Grid)
 >>
 >>has the yaxis label partly cut off and the x axis label does not
appear at all.
 >>Also ?grid.multipanel in that example brings up documentation for
 >>grid-internal but this would not seem to be internal if its part of
an example.

 >>I am using:
 >>

 >>>R.version.string  # Windows XP
 >>
 >>[1] "R version 2.2.0, 2005-09-20"