[Rd] Microsoft help files

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 18:43:49 CEST 2005

Liaw, Andy wrote:
>> From: Hin-Tak Leung
>>
>> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the software here:
>>>
>>> http://morte.jedrea.com/~jedwin/projects/chmlib/
>>>
>>> or at any of the links on that page might allow elimination of
>>> the need for separately downloading the Microsoft Help compiler
>>> -- which is just one more task that one must perform to get up
>>> and running to build your own R packages on Windows.
>>
>> Actually, why does one need to depend on the Microsoft Help
>> compiler? The windows build of GNU makeinfo can generate MS *.hlp
>> file directly. That's more "native" MS windows than CHM files.
>

> Personally my order of preference is
>
> CHM > plain text > HLP
>
> Isn't it true that even MS is moving away from HLP?

WINHLP comes with a built-in search-and-index functionalty, and rather
more user-friendly than CHM or plain text. I am talking about
indexing and searching sizeable documents with internal organizations
and structures. Even pdf is better the plain text. You want the
R-reference manual as a text file?

I am against additional dependency (particularly at build-time, unless
you bundle it), especially on software that has just been written
and may not be around/maintained in a few months' time
(one can at least say the microsoft CHM compiler will be around!).
Since much of R's documentation is already quite texinfo/makeinfo
friendly, it is just an extra couple of line in the makefile to
generate hlp file, ditto for rtf and ditto for pdf.

HT