[Rd] [R] unvectorized option for outer()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 31 20:42:04 CET 2005

On 10/31/2005 2:15 PM, Tony Plate wrote:
> When I read the preface to The Blue Book (The New S Language, Becker,
> Chambers & Wilks) I see comments along the lines of "high-level
> language", "primary goal of the S environment is to enable and encourage
> good data analysis", etc.  While vectorization is a great feature of S
> (and R), I don't see it, or programming efficiency, mentioned there at all.
>
> Nonetheless, Peter's suggestion of a general Vectorize() function is
> intriguing, and could be useful with other functions that trip users up
> in the same way.  (Also, I do apprecicate Peter pointing out that not
> all functions vectorize naturally, as in his example density
> calculations over grids of parameters).
>
> So, here's a first pass at a general Vectorize() function:
>
> Vectorize <- function(FUN, vectorize.args) {
>      if (!all(is.element(vectorize.args, names(formals(FUN)))))
>          stop("some args to vectorize are not args of FUN")
>      FUNV <- eval(substitute(function(x, ...) mapply(FUN, x,
> MoreArgs=list(...)), list(FUN=FUN)))
>      formals(FUNV) <- formals(FUNV)[c(rep(1, length(vectorize.args)), 2)]
>      names(formals(FUNV))[seq(along=vectorize.args)] <- vectorize.args
>      body(FUNV) <- body(FUNV)[c(1, 2, rep(3, length(vectorize.args)), 4)]
>      body(FUNV)[seq(3,len=length(vectorize.args))] <-
> lapply(vectorize.args, as.name)
>      FUNV
> }

I'd think the formals of the result should be identical to the formals
of the input.

Regarding the environment of the result:  it is used to determine the
meaning of symbols that aren't defined within the function, e.g. things
like "eval", "substitute", etc.  So I'd say that you don't want anything
special there, as long as you make sure that FUN is always evaluated in
its original environment.

Generally I don't like the look of that manipulation of the body of your
result; it looks pretty fragile to me.  But I haven't worked out exactly
what you're doing, or whether it's possible to avoid it.

Duncan Murdoch