[Rd] RFC: rawConnection (was "loop connections")

dhinds@sonic.net dhinds at sonic.net
Thu Sep 1 18:58:44 CEST 2005

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

> > Having a rawConnection() entry point is simple enough.  Seeking also
> > seems straightforward.  I'm not so sure about using as.raw().  I
> > wondered about that, but also thought that rather than coercing to
> > raw, it might make more sense to cast atomic vector types to raw,
> > byte-for-byte.

> I'd prefer as.raw, so that we don't end up with two incompatible ways to
> convert other objects to raw objects.

An advantage of no as.raw() would be that you could create a raw
connection on an object without making an extra copy, which was
another of your requests.  But there would be a lack of symmetry,
because you could "r" from an arbitrary R object, but only "w" to raw,
unless there was also a way of specifying a type for the result
vector.

Having the backing store be an R object with no copy does seem tricky,
however.  Currently, textConnection() makes a copy for "r" connections
but writes directly to an R object for "w" connections.  The "w" case
is buggy; you can crash R by removing the target object while the
connection is being used.  I'm not familiar enough with R internals to
know how to fix that.  Maybe the object has to be searched for every
time the connection is used, to avoid potentially stale pointers?

> > Can you given an example of where a text-mode raw connection would be
> > a useful thing?

> No, but someone else might.  Why unnecessarily let the source of the
> bytes determine the mode of the connection?  In the case of
> textConnection, there are natural line breaks, so a text mode connection
> makes sense.  A raw object can contain anything, so why wouldn't someone
> want to put text in it some day?

It seems that that a text-mode raw connection would be equivalent to a
textConnection on the result of rawToChar(), no?

While some of these possibilities seem like they might be useful, I'm
not sure that all need to be implemented immediately.  If we can agree
on the basic interface and semantics, then we could implement a basic
version now, and relax restrictions on the arguments later as needed?

-- Dave