[Rd] A question on R memory management in .Fortran() calls under Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Sep 9 19:51:48 CEST 2005

On 9/9/2005 1:04 PM, Simone Giannerini wrote:
> Dear R community,
>
> I have a question on how R manages memory allocation in .Fortran()
> calls under Windows.
> In brief, apparently, it is not possible to allocate large matrices
> inside a Fortran subroutine
>   unless you pass them as arguments. If you do not act in this way
> RGUI crashes with a stack overflow error and acting  on memory through
> vsize nsize ppsize and memory.limit does not help at all.

It looks as though your Fortran compiler is allocating the new matrix on
the stack.  R doesn't give you a huge stack, and that's causing the
overflow.  When you get R to do the allocation, it does it on the heap,
which has no artificial limits.  Only a pointer to the object ends up on
the stack.

I'd say your only reasonable workarounds are to tell your compiler to
use the heap for the local matrix allocation (if that's possible), or do
your allocations in R.

There might be some utility somewhere which can modify Rgui.exe to tell
it to start with a larger stack, and there is probably some linker
option to put one in place, but it's not really reasonable to increase
R's stack, because in almost all other situations, writing that much
data to the stack is a sign of an infinite recursion.

Duncan Murdoch