[Rd] Issue tracking in packages [was: Re: [R] change in read.spss, package foreign?]

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
Sat Sep 10 12:22:13 CEST 2005

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> How about if there were just a standard location and name such as inst/NEWS,
>> inst/WISHLIST, inst/THANKS (which has the advantage that they are automatically
>> made available in the built package under the current way packages are
>> built)

> The problem is that there *isn't* a standard location. As Robert
> Gentleman has pointed out, if you only maintain two or three packages
> it isn't too bad to change them to some new layout, but if you are the
> bioconductor project it gets painful quite quickly.

> Also, there are good reasons for having NEWS in the top level
> directory.  Nearly everything that isn't an R package does this,
> because it's a useful standard.

And similar things could be said about Emacs users with ChangeLog files
in top-level package directories ...

I like the suggestion about using a Changelog (or whatever it would be
called) field in the package DESCRIPTION meta-data.  If we have that, we
could not only use this for repository-side presentation of the package,
but also install such info and have a simple show_package_change_log()
function ...

-k