[Rd] Issue tracking in packages [was: Re: [R] change in read.spss, package foreign?]

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 10 19:06:51 CEST 2005

    >>  Standard location or a mechachanism like the one you
    >> describe are both similar amount of work (and not much at
    >> all), the HTML pages are generated by perl and I have the
    >> parsed DESCRIPTION file there, i.e., using a fixed name
    >> or the value of the Changelog field is basically the
    >> same.
    >>

    TL> In which case a Changlog entry in DESCRIPTION would be a
    TL> very nice addition, and would have the advantage of not
    TL> requiring changes to packages.

yes *and* does allow slightly more flexibility with almost
no cost, as Fritz confirmed.

And, BTW, Gabor,  NEWS and ChangeLog are not at all the same
thing and it would be silly to urge users to one of them.
At least 'ChangeLog' is a well defined format for emacs users
that can very quickly be updated semi-automagically
("C-x 4 a" when you're in file  foo.R with function myfun(.)
 autogenerates a neat entry in a ChangeLog file);
but then really people should be allowed to use other formats
for good reasons.

Martin