[Rd] Copying libraries from one version of R to another (was Re: MikTeX will be assumed in R 2.2.0 in Windows)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:55:19 CEST 2005

Thanks. That's great.  If I understand correctly, versions that
are as of the one you just uploaded will have this facility and for older
versions I need to search in the old, existing, way.  Thus once 2.3, say,
comes out we will have 2.2. and 2.3 in the registry.

That means that as of 2.3 it will be possible to have an R program
that checks for the older versions via the registry and redownloads everything
from CRAN to the new version.  It would be important that that
program is distributed with R and possibly invoked automatically
as part of the installation process since its best not to have
to install a package in order to install package.  I assume you
will be doing that by that time so I can probably don't need to
provide anything in batchfiles.  Maybe I
should just hold off on this area since it hardly seems worthwihle to do
development whose lifespan is just one version.

By the way I did find a tool, sigcheck.exe, on sysinternals.com
that will find the file and product versions and running it on RGui.exe
it does work.  I am considering whether to use that or not to
Rversions.hta.

Regards.