[Rd] loadings() generic in R alpha

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Sep 16 20:00:09 CEST 2005

Gavin Simpson wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:52 -0400, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>

>>Brian
>>
>>It would help if I understood general principles. I thought one would
>>want a case for NOT making functions generic, rather than a case for
>>making them generic. Hopefully a case for why generics and methods are
>>useful will not be necessary.
>>
>>The situation with loadings() is that I construct objects where the
>>does not work:

>>function (x)
>>x$loadings
>><environment: namespace:stats>
>>
>>Basically this definition restricts the way in which objects can be
>>constructed, so I would like it replaced by

>Paul,
>
>The writing R extensions manual suggests the following way of hi-jacking
>a function and making it generic:

>As long as your function had argument x this should work, no?
>
>Are there problems with this approach? - I'm interested as I've used
>that method in a package I am currently finishing up, which seems to
>work fine in my particular case.

Gavin

Hi-jacking works, at least as long as only one package does it. I've
been doing that for several years now. I'm not sure what happens when
two packages try to hi-jack the same function, and especially if they
define the generic differently. I think with namespaces there is
protection within your own package code, but not protection for anything
a user might define. I am especially worried about loadings(), as that
seems like something lots of packages may want to hi-jack.

There are also some additional considerations when namespaces are used.
For example, to hi-jack loadings one would typically want to put
something like this in the package code:

if (!exists("loadings.default", mode="function")){
  }

The if statement is so that the package continues to work if it is
decided to make loadings generic in  a new version of stats. But exists
does not work since stats has namespaces (at least not in R-2.1.1, but
it may be fixed in R-2.2.0). If it is broken then there is no easy way I
know about to protect against everything in my package getting broken by
a new release of R.  (Now you may think this last is wishful thinking,
but so far I have been fairly lucky.)

Paul