[Rd] Typo [Was: Rd and guillemots]

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 17 09:47:34 CEST 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:

> On 16-Sep-05 Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> [...]
>> This seems to happen in Rdconv.pm, around here:
>>
>>      ## avoid conversion to guillemots
>>      $c =~ s/<</<\{\}</;
>>      $c =~ s/>>/>\{\}>/;
>
> The name of the "continental" quotation mark « is "guillemet".
>
> The R Development Core Team must have had some bird on the brain
> at the time ...

I don't think any authority agrees with Ted here. There are two
characters, left and right.  Collectively it seems agreed they are called
guillemets, but the issue is over the names of the single characters, and
the character shown is the left guillem[eo]t.

Adobe says these are left and right guillemot.  It seems that the
majority opinion does not agree, but there is a substantial usage
following Adobe.

I had already changed the R source code, so please Ted and others follow
the advice in the posting guide and

*** check the current sources before posting alleged bugs ***

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk