[Rd] looks in liblapack.a not liblapack.so

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Sep 19 17:10:16 CEST 2005

Martyn Plummer <plummer at iarc.fr> writes:

> > The 'recompile with -fPIC' is bullsh*t.  The problem is that is is looking
> > in /usr/lib64/liblapack.a rather than /usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3 both of which
> > exist.  Some searching for this error message on Google shows a lot of
> > questions about this problem but no solution that I found other than
> >
> >     rm /usr/lib64/liblapack.a
> >
> > which I don't consider a solution.  It will link with the .so as the bottom
> > of the script shows
> You would need to modify the LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS environment variables,
> as these default to -L/usr/local/lib and -I/usr/local/include
> respectively.  See Appendix B.3.3 of the R Installation and
> Administration manual, which gives a warning about 64-bit systems.
>
> You can also use the --with-readline configure flag to specify the exact
> location of the readline library you wish to use.

How did _readline_ get into this?

As a curiosity, I tried looking at what Fedora Core 4 does with this.
So I looked for liblapack.a with locate, and it found one in /usr/lib
(on a 32bit system). Then I went to have a closer look at the library
and it turned out not to be there -- apparently the recent update to
lapack had wiped it out, but the locate database was not yet
rebuilt...

This sort of suggests to me that removing the .a file might actually
be a sensible thing to do on SuSE as well.