[Rd] Shy Suggestion?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 16:03:45 CEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:42 -0400, Roger D. Peng wrote:
>> I think this needs to fail because packages listed in 'Suggests:' may, for
>> example, be needed in the examples.  How can 'R CMD check' run the examples and
>> verify that they are executable if those packages are not available?  I suppose
>> you could put the examples in a \dontrun{}.
>>
> Yes, that's what I do, and exactly for that reason: if something is not
> necessarily needed (= 'suggestion' in this culture), it should not be
> required in tests. However, if I don't use \dontrun{} for a
> non-recommended package, the check would fail and I would get the needed
> information: so why should the check fail already when checking
> DESCRIPTION?

Because it is a `check', and it assembles all the information needed at
the beginning.  I'd certainly prefer to know at the beginning rather than
20 minutes into running the tests.

R CMD check is not really for end users: it is for package writers,
repository maintainers and for people checking proposed R changes.  Those
people want all the checks possible to be done.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk