[Rd] Assigning a zero length vector to a list (PR#8157)

p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Sep 26 16:29:59 CEST 2005

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> After foo<-list(), foo$bar is NULL, so we can simplify this.
>
> Here's a simpler version:
>
> # These work, which is a bit of a surprise, but there is some
> inconsistency:   one x becomes a list, the other is numeric:
>  > x <- NULL
>  > x[[1]] <- 1:10
>  > x
> [[1]]
>   [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
>
>  > x <- NULL
>  > x[[1]] <- 1
>  > x
> [1] 1
>

> # This generates the same bug as the above:
>  > x <- NULL
>  > x[[1]] <- numeric(0)
>  > x
> [1] 4.250083e-314
>
> It looks like we're trying to be too clever with handling assignments to
> components of NULL.  Wouldn't it make more sense for those to generate
> an error?

Once upon a time, we had pairlists, and NULL was the empty list. This
looks like it might be a relic. If so, it likely also predates
consistent handling of zero-length vectors, so something is getting
confused. I think it would be reasonable to expect similar results to
this:

> x<-list()
> x[[1]] <- numeric(0)
[[1]]
numeric(0)

S-PLUS also tries to handle NULL as a zero length list, with some
anomalies:

> x <- NULL
> x[[1]] <- numeric(0)
$value: