[Rd] looks in liblapack.a not liblapack.so

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Wed Sep 28 20:30:08 CEST 2005

Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> -L/usr/lib64  I think. I have
>
> #LAPACK_LIBS="-L/usr/lib64 -llapack"
>
> (commented out now) in config.site.

  I'm sorry, it was my mistake. I forgot to install blas-devel where
libblas.so is defined as a symbolic link to the correct library version.

  Since the configure script could not find the blas library it would
immediately disallow the lapack usage. This is not obvious from configure's
output... maybe an explicit message saying this would help here.

  So now it is enough
../R/configure --with-lapack

  :-)

> ../R/configure --with-lapack="-L/usr/lib64 -llapack"
>
> seems to work with FC4/Opteron (even with the configure line, you
> still need to have at least "--with-lapack" on the command line, which
> is a bit of a bug -- or will be one, once we stop advising against
> using external lapack libs in the first place...).
>
> A line like
>
> External libraries:        readline, BLAS(ATLAS), LAPACK(generic)

  Yes, I get this. For now I have BLAS(generic).

> shows that R is not using the internal versions of BLAS/LAPACK. (Of
> course, the ATLAS bit required more work...)
>
> The latest updates to lapack seem not to have worked.

  You are right, I am able to reproduce the bug. I will report it and report
back when a solution is available.

>    O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
>   c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     PO Box 2099, 1014 Cph. K
>  (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45)
>  35327918
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk)                  FAX: (+45)
> 35327907

  Thanks,