[Rd] Integration of C and Fortran

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 13:17:14 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Is
>
>>        the enter point Fortran "orderdata_" absent of the loading table.
>
> a manual translation, and was the underscore there in the original (I
> think it should be, but am just checking).

The extra underscore added is the default behavior of many fortran
compilers, to avoid symbol name collision - I believe this is
actually mentioned very briefly in "writing R extensions" - here is
the details from the relevant section of the documentation of
gfortran (gcc 4.x's fortran front end):

=======================================
Options for Code Generation Conventions

`-fno-underscoring'
      Do not transform names of entities specified in the Fortran source
      file by appending underscores to them.

      With `-funderscoring' in effect, `gfortran' appends one underscore
      to external names with no underscores.  This is done to ensure
      compatibility with code produced by many UNIX Fortran compilers.

      Use of `-fno-underscoring' is not recommended unless you are
      experimenting with issues such as integration of (GNU) Fortran into
      existing system environments (vis-a-vis existing libraries, tools,
      and so on).

`-fsecond-underscore'
      By default, `gfortran' appends an underscore to external names.
      If this option is used `gfortran' appends two underscores to names
      with underscores and one underscore to external names with no
      underscores ...