[Rd] Compiling PL/R against R.dll in Win32/MinGW

Joe Conway mail at joeconway.com
Fri Apr 7 23:59:29 CEST 2006

Mike Leahy wrote:
> Ok...well I've been hacking around with the PL/R source a bit more, and
> I found that that substituting 'Rf_initEmbeddedR' with 'InitDynload'
> seemed to make code compile further - this was just a total guess based
> on the functions that are listed in the R.dll with dependency-walker.
> Now it appears that it's an issue compiling against postgres, rather
> than R.dll (see below).  Should I pursue this any further, or should I
> accept that it just won't happen and give up for now?

> -DDLSUFFIX=\".dll\"  -c -o plr.o plr.c
> plr.c: In function `plr_init':
> plr.c:288: warning: implicit declaration of function `InitDynload'
> plr.c: In function `fetchArgNames':
> plr.c:1366: warning: passing arg 7 of `deconstruct_array' from

This looks like you're trying to compile with PostgreSQL cvs HEAD
(8.2devel), correct? That won't work as I've not yet adjusted PL/R to
handle NULL elements in arrays (which is brand new in HEAD). But this is
is now off topic here...

Getting back on topic, unless someone can tell us that R.dll or some
other mechanism exposes the same API as the libR shared object, I'd have
to say it is probably hopeless.

Joe