[Rd] Stack checking, core dumps, and embedding R

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:34:46 CEST 2006

I will say this first -- I can't copy/paste the error message from the
screen, so it's being retyped.  Errors might occur.  SORRY.

I've been experiencing some interesting stack warnings recently when
moving from R 2.2.x to the R 2.3.0 series and the R 2.4.0 series.  In
particular, I'm getting warnings of "Error: C stack usage is too close
to the limit" before segfaulting, and this wasn't happening under the
2.2.x series.

Here's the question statement:  (ONLY) In the situation where one is
embedding R, is anyone else seeing this occur with recent (past 2
weeks) versions of R (both the 2.3.x and 2.4.x series)?

(it doesn't happen in the non-embedded case for me, at least not
recently -- there was an SVN version recently where I did get that
behavior in the non-embedded case, but it was "fixed" before I had a
chance to report).

I'm still debugging it; hopefully will have a bug report while I'm on
(working) vacation in the states next week.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).