[Rd] Calloc : syntax error

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 13 17:35:38 CEST 2006

    Franck> Hi, I have issue with Calloc : at the compilation
    Franck> step, gcc tells "error : syntax error before ')'
    Franck> token".  When I use the classical C calloc... free,
    Franck> everything's fine.  Here's the part of code : a =
    Franck> (double*) Calloc(*n,sizeof(double));

    Franck> when i remove this line or replace it with the
    Franck> calloc, it's ok

    Franck> Hint : In the header file R.h, there's a line : /*
    Franck> for PROBLEM ... Calloc, Realloc, Free, Memcpy,
    Franck> F77_xxxx */ is it related ?

not at all.
    Franck> Does anyone know ?

yes, everyone even who carefully looks at the corresponding
section in the  "Writing R Extensions" manual.

Calloc() is used in many places in R and contributed packages.

Hint: It's usage syntax is *different* and slightly simpler
      than the one you used above.
Hint2: A typical use is  ' Calloc(n, double); '

    Franck> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hint3: Read the posting guide
       http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html
       in order not to produce such as the above line

Regards, and  Happy Easter (to all in the audience),
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich