[Rd] row.names in data.frame

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 17 17:49:21 CEST 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Don MacQueen wrote:

> This looks like a good proposal to me, from an end-user's point of view.
>
> I have, from time to time, wished I could set row names to NULL. Not for
> performance reasons, but because some aspect of my data, in combination with
> how R handles row names, was requiring me to explicitly manage them in
> situations where I was otherwise making no use of them. Admittedly, some of
> these occasions were quite a few R versions ago, when row names were not as
> carefully managed by R itself as they are now.
>
> Potential ramifications are not immediately obvious to me, but for example,
> will rbind() of two data frames, both of which have been assigned NULL row
> names, result in a data frame with NULL row names? (Would it matter?) What
> about one with NULL row names and one with non-NULL row names?

In the user's perspective, there are no NULL row.names, only integer or
character ones.  (It did say *internal representation*.)  If you rbind one
with integer and one with character, you get character in the result (just
as you do with c()).  There's actually code there now that is supposed to
work with 1:m and 1:n and give you 1:(n+m), and that does work with
integer row.names.

There was a snag with the proposal: zero-column data frames do have a
number of rows which is found from the row.names.  So rather than encode
as NULL, 1:n is encoded as c(as.integer(NA), n), but the user will never
see that.

row.names(a_df) <- NULL sets the row.names to 1:n.

As of a few hours' ago, a test version is in R-devel.  This passes their
tests with all CRAN packages (somewhat to my surprise, but that may be in
part be because all existing data frames do have character vector names).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk