[Rd] R_PAPERSIZE and LC_PAPER

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 21 14:52:24 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
<snipped>
> It does not exist in any system at present (not even mine): just an idea
> in my head to represent the default found at configure time.
>
> In some sense LC_PAPER is set on FC3:
>
> gannet% locale -ck LC_PAPER
> LC_PAPER
> height=297
> width=210
> paper-codeset="ISO-8859-1"
>
> and it is unsupported on Solaris 8.  And
>
>> Sys.getlocale("LC_PAPER")
> [1] "en_GB"
>
> in the system I am prototyping just now.

Just to chip in on the discussion - on FC5,

$ locale -ck LC_PAPER
LC_PAPER
height=279
width=216
paper-codeset="UTF-8"

$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

(hmm, I must have made a mistake somewhere - would prefer "en_GB").

R 2.2.1 currently on my system (built on FC4 before I ungraded to FC5).
 > Sys.getlocale("LC_PAPER")
Error in Sys.getlocale("LC_PAPER") : invalid 'category' argument

HT