[Rd] R CMD check: non source files in src on (2.3.0 RC (2006-04-19 r37860))

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 21 18:04:27 CEST 2006

Robert Gentleman wrote:

>   As for the difference between source packages and built packages, yes
> it would be nice at some time to enter into a discussion on that topic.
> There are lots of things that can be done at build time (that are not
> currently being done) that would speed up package installation etc. But
> they come at the price that Henrik has mentioned. The built package is
> no longer suitable for development. And hence we may usefully consider
> another format (something between source and binary, .Rgz?)

I didn't get any time before the feature freeze to work on a new package
mechanism, but I think that is what is needed rather than tweaking and
complicating the existing collection of perl and shell scripts.
I believe it is time that we now move the package system to R code
and use real OOP to allow for all these differences.
Now that I am not teaching 5 days a week, I will have time to work on
this and so get the frameworks (packages that provide compiled/native
routines for other packages to use) as a first example.  Hopefully
sometime in (northern hemispher) summer.

>   best wishes
>     Robert
>

>>If there is need, we could start having developer-package repositories.
>>However, I'd prefer a different approach.  We're currently in the
>>process of updating the CRAN server infrastructure, and should be able
>>to start deploying an R-forge project hosting service "eventually"
>>(hopefully, we can set things up during the summer).  This should
>>provide us with an ideal infrastructure for sharing developer resources,
>>in particular as we could add QC testing et al to the standard community
>>services.
>>
>>Best
>>-k

- --
Duncan Temple Lang                    duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Department of Statistics              work:  (530) 752-4782
4210 Mathematical Sciences Building   fax:   (530) 752-7099
One Shields Ave.
University of California at Davis
Davis,
CA 95616,