[Rd] R 2.3.0: Use of NULL as an environment is deprecated

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 25 18:04:35 CEST 2006

    BernPf> Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:
    >> Dear R-Devel subscriber,
    >>
    >> first, let me express my thank to the R-Core team for the
    >> new release!
    BernPf> I
    >> appreciate their efforts and time spent to enhance R.  In
    >> accordance with the 'NEWS' file (see excerpt of it
    >> below),
    >>
    >> [...  o Changed the environment tree to be rooted in an
    >> empty environment, available as emptyenv().  baseenv()
    >> has been modified to return an environment with
    >> emptyenv() as parent, rather than NULL.

    >> o Use of NULL as an environment is deprecated and gives a
    >> warning.  ...]
    >>
    >> I detected the warning message as announced for a couple
    >> of
    BernPf> contributed
    >> packages, e.g.
    >>
    >> library(ape) library(car) library(chron) library(urca)

    BernPf> Not so for me. Are you sure you have reinstalled
    BernPf> those packages under R-2.3.0?

    BernPf> Uwe Ligges

    BernPf> Dear Uwe,

    BernPf> thank you for your hint. That fixes the warnings for
    BernPf> packages 'ape', 'car' and 'chron' issued
    BernPf> formerly. However, even after a fresh install the
    BernPf> warnings still show up for the packages 'VLMC' and
    BernPf> 'urca', as an example.  Any further clues are most
    BernPf> welcome.

not for 'VLMC' for me (maintainer of VLMC).
Martin

    BernPf> Best, Bernhard