[Rd] proposed modifications to deprecated

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 27 17:17:22 CEST 2006

Hi,
   Over the past six months we have had a few problems with deprecation
and Seth Falcon and I want to propose a few additions to the mechanism
that will help deal with cases other than the deprecation of functions.

  In the last release one of the arguments to La.svd was deprecated, but
the warning message was very unclear and suggested that in fact La.svd
was deprecated.
   Adding a third argument to .Deprecated, msg say (to be consistent
with the internal naming mechanism) that contains the message string
would allow for handling the La.svd issue in a more informative way. It
is a strict addition so no existing code is likely to be broken.

   We also need to deprecate data from time to time. Since the field of
genomics is moving fast as good example from five years ago is often no
longer a good example today. This one is a bit harder, but we can modify
   tools:::.make_file_exts("data")

   to first look for a ".DEP" extension (this does not seem to be a
widely used extension), and if such a file exists, ie NameofData.DEP
  one of two things happens: if it contains a character string we use
that for the message (we could source it for the message?), if not print
a standard message (just as .Deprecated does) and then continue with the
search using the other file extensions.

   Defunct could be handled similarly.

  Comments, alternative suggestions?

  thanks