[Rd] ? bug in 'sample' (PR#8813)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 27 17:55:48 CEST 2006

doddl at mail.nih.gov writes:

> I have found that specifying different "sizes" in the sample command has
> a funny effect on the random sampling.  The code below is a condensed
> version of a function I wrote to simulate a bootstrap method.  For
> simplicity, I eliminated the internal bootstrap loop, but kept a
> statement to draw one bootstrap sample, because this is where the
> problem occurs.  The output (mean(y)^2) should be the same for the two
> runs of the function below, since it is based on the original rnorm
> draw.  For the first iteration of this function, it is, but thereafter
> the results aren't the same.  If I run this code in Splus, the results
> are the same.  Also, if I set the size argument to be the same (or
> eliminate this line altogether), I get reproducible results.

What is the issue? To generate samples of different sizes, you may
need a different number of random draws, so the RNG is not going to be
in the same state the 2nd time you hit rnorm().

A current Splus (7.0.0) doesn't give you the same result either:

 > test.fun(50,0,30,12345)
[1] 2.712664e-05 9.971680e-03
> test.fun(50,0,10,12345)
[1] 2.712664e-05 2.225859e-03