[Rd] R | vnc | X11 fonts

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 1 16:29:56 CEST 2006

Evan Cooch wrote:
> Quick followup - works fine with fluxbox (and, as noted, default twm).
> Simply can't get it to work with the gnome desktop, which ultimately I
> would like to.

The difference between twm and metacity in gnome or other gnome
windows manager is that twm uses X11 core fonts whereas gnome
is xft/fontconfig-aware, and as far as I know R's X11() uses
core font API's and is not xft-aware.

You haven't said anything about your xorg setup - specifically,
whether you are using a font server (it is the default on FC5, so
unless you have changed it, you are using one). If that's the case,
changing this line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      FontPath     "unix/:7100"
to use *real* font paths may help.

HTL