[Rd] [R] Problem with installing R under Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Aug 4 14:57:18 CEST 2006

On 8/4/2006 7:58 AM, TAN Chong Hui wrote:
> I have been trying to install R under Windows from the source by
> following the instructions in R Installation and Adminstration.
> Met with a list of problems along the way.

Building R generally falls under the R-devel topic, and I've moved the
comments there.

> 1) Recommended packages:
>
> I tried to do
>
>> make lnik-recommended
>
> and
>
>> make rsync-recommended
>
> In both cases, I got the message "no rule to make target"
>
> Have I gotten the make directory wrongly?

You didn't say which directory you were in, but it should be
R_HOME/src/gnuwin32.

> 2) Building core files:
>
> After I did
>
>> make all recommended
>
> in R_HOME/src/gnuwin32, the process ends with the following error
> message:
>
>> make --no-print-directory -C ../modules \
>>   OPTFLAGS='-O3 -Wall -pedantic -std=gnu99' FOPTFLAGS='-O3 -Wall' -f
>> Makefile.wi n gcc  -shared -s  -o lapack.dll lapack.def Lapack.o
>> dllversion.o -L../../../bin - lRlapack -lRblas -lR
>> c:\minGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
>> cannot fin
>> d -lRlapack

I assume the extra spaces in the line above are just a result of posting
("Makefile.wi n", "- lRlapack".  If not, you've done something very strange.

The usual cause of problems when building R in Windows is not having
your path set up properly. Some of the Rtools programs have the same
names as Windows or Cygwin programs, and you need to be sure the Rtools
ones are found first.

Once you get the path right, I'd suggest doing "make distclean", and
starting over again.  You might have some incompatible pieces in your
partial build.

If you think it's right but it still doesn't work, please post it here.
  You should also post the R version that you're trying to build, and
how you obtained it:  there are slight differences between the tarballs
and svn working copies.

Duncan Murdoch