[Rd] building windows packages under wine/linux and cross-compiling.

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Aug 4 18:19:39 CEST 2006

Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
> I cannot imagine: Why should one want to perform difficult cross
> compiling if you have Windows available?  And why should I run R
> under wine? If I like Windows, I use Windows, if I have like Linux,
> there is no reason to run R under wine.

One use-case for running R under wine is for a package developer to be
able to test her packages on Windows without having to have a Windows
box.

At least in Bioconductor, a vast majority of package developers use
Linux for their development.  Finding ways to allow them to test on
Windows (where a majority of _users_ are found) makes a lot of sense
to me.

And I'm pretty sure that cross-compilation is quite easy.  Just like
building R from source on Windows, you just follow the 16 easy steps
and it works ;-)

+ seth