[Rd] download.packages() ignores too recent packages

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Sat Aug 12 00:02:07 CEST 2006

Hi list,

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature but I can't download a package
that requires a more recent version of R than the one I'm currently
using for the download:

     > rep <- "http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/bioc"
     > download.packages("Biobase", destdir=".", repos=rep)
    Warning in download.packages("Biobase", destdir = ".", repos = rep) :
             no package 'Biobase' at the repositories
         [,1] [,2]

There _is_ a 'Biobase' package here but since it requires R >= 2.3.0
and I'm doing this from R 2.2.1 then it's ignored.
I realize that this is consistent with the behaviour of available.packages()
but... I guess the most confusing part here (at least for me) is the
warning message. May be it could say something like "no package 'Biobase'
at the repositories for your version of R"?

Best,

H.

--
Hervé Pagès