[Rd] how to include a windows dll in a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 15:09:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Gabor Csardi wrote:

> Dear R Developers,
>
> what is the correct way to include a dll in a source package, that
> is expected to be installed in the libs directory?

You could put it in inst/libs.   But we discourage that.
(And if you do do this, watch out for licence conditions.)

> Or in general is there a better way than supplying the dll to use a
> third-party library (libxml2) in a package which should build on windows as
> well?

As I understand it, several package maintainers have set up arrangements
with Uwe Ligges to do this, based on DLLs they have supplied him.
Package XML being an example, so I suspect Uwe already knows all about
libxml2.  You could actually avoid this by depending on XML and arranging
to have XML/libs in the PATH at load time.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk