[Rd] graphics documentation omission (PR#9149)

mschwartz at mn.rr.com mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 22:53:51 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 22:13 +0200, rmh at temple.edu wrote:
> Thanks, Marc

Happy to help Rich.

> Neither plot.window or plot.default are natural places for me to look for
> argument names.  par and plot are, for me, the natural places.  I realize
> that asp is not a par argument.  Nonetheless, par is still the first place
> to look for arguments that I would use in the ... position of any plot function.
> It would be easy to make a case that asp is the same type of argument as mar
> or fin, thus it would make sense for it to be added to par.

Over the years, more from "behavioral modification" than from instinct,
I look at ?plot.default when I forget defacto plot() arguments. Of
course, plot.default() is in the See Also in ?plot.

It is rare for me to look at ?plot.window, given the rarity in which I
call it directly.

> There are NO (that is, zero) live links in the Rgui help system.

Yeah. I enabled options(htmlhelp = TRUE) in my .Rprofile for the times
when I use R from the GNOME console, otherwise I am usually in ESS using
emacs 22 from CVS with the XFT patches.

I am not sure that I ever used the .CHM help when I used to run on
Windows, but presume that there is a hyperlink in that format to
parallel the live link in the HTML file.

> help.search("asp") doesn't find anything related to graphics.

Could be added as a \concept presumably in the .Rd files for
plot.default and plot.window. For example:

  \concept{asp aspect ratio}

> ESS is much better for help than Rgui since ESS Rd mode can go to the help
> page for any word that the cursor sits on.  ESS for R help doesn't have the
> links themselves.

Indeed.

Regards,

Marc