[Rd] how to include a windows dll in a package

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Wed Aug 16 16:20:45 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 10:09:52AM -0400, Allen S. Rout wrote:
> Gabor Csardi <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu> writes:
>
> > No problem, libxml2 sources are available, that is fine with the
> > GPL.  They need not be included in the _same_ package as the
> > binaries.
>
> This is a topic of vigorous debate at the moment.  r-devel is not a
> good forum in which to repeat the debate, but look at
>
> http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/23/1728205.shtml
>
> and then google around for topics like 'linux distributions provide
> source'.
>
> In any case, I'd recommend against a blase attitude that, because the
> code is available somewhere, you have no responsibility to distribute
> it yourself.

In the meanwhile we agreed in a solution. (Basically i'll do what Uwe tells
me to do: the source R package will not include any libxml code but the
windows binary package will contain binaries.) I'm not very much interested
in these debates anyway... but thanks for the pointer.

Gabor

--
Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    MTA RMKI, ELTE TTK