[Rd] vector S4 classes

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 11:42:21 CEST 2006

In the Green Book, section 7.5 discusses new vector classes and uses
quaternions
as an example of a vector class that needs more than one number per
element.

I would like to define a new class that has a numeric vector and a
logical
vector of the same length that specifies whether the measurement was
accurate.

The following code does not behave as desired:

 > setClass("thing",representation("vector",accurate="logical"))
[1] "thing"
 > dput(x <- new("thing",1:10,accurate=rep(T,10)))
structure(c(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10), accurate = c(TRUE,
TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE), class =
structure("thing", package = ".GlobalEnv"))
 > x[1:3]
[1] 1 2 3
 > dput(x[1:3])
c(1, 2, 3)

because, although the "accurate" slot is filled as desired in "x",
when extracting the first
three elements, it seems to be lost.

What is the appropriate setClass() call to do what I want?  Or indeed
is making "thing"
a vector class as sensible idea here?

--
Robin Hankin