[Rd] vector S4 classes

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 12:38:27 CEST 2006

Hi Martin

thanks for this.  I see what you say about R not being able to
magically subset the
"accuracy" slot.  Which leaves me puzzled as to why anyone would define
a vector class such as "string" (p315).  I can't see why "string" is
defined as
it is, rather than use something like "fungi" from V&R chapter 5.

So, my next question is, why does the Green Book recommend

setClass("quaternion", "vector", prototype=numeric())
?

Why not do what the "onion" package does and make a quaternion
a single column of a four-row matrix?  What advantage does the
setClass() method above have over the single-column-of-a-four-row-matrix
method?

best wishes

Robin

--