[Rd] Speed of runif() on different Operating Systems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 21:29:33 CEST 2006

No one else seems to have responded to this.

Please see `Writing R Extensions' for how to time things in R.

For things like this, the fine details of how well the compiler keeps the
pipelines and cache filled are important, as is the cache size and
memory speed.  Using

system.time(for (i in 1:500) ttt <- runif(1000000))

your Linux time looks slow, indeed slower than the only 32-bit Linux box I
have left (a 2GHz 512Kb cache Xeon) and 2.5x slower than a 64-bit R on an
2.2GHz Opteron (which is doing a lot of other work and so only giving
about 30% of one of its processors to R: the elapsed time was much
longer).

The binary distribution of R for Windows is compiled with -O3: for some
tasks it makes a lot of difference and this might just be one.

However, what can you usefully do in R with 5e8 random uniforms in
anything like a minute, let alone the aggregate time this list will spend
reading your question?  If it matters to you, investigate the code your
compiler creates.  (The ATLAS developers report very poor performance on
certain Pentiums for certain versions of gcc4.)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Martin Becker wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have noticed surprisingly big performance differences of runif()
> between Windows XP and (Debian) linux on similar CPUs (Pentium D 3.0GHz
> (WinXP)/3.2GHz (Linux)) and I wonder if there is a simple explanation
> for the difference.
> On a linux system (with a slightly better CPU and 1GB more RAM),
> execution of runif() seems to consume about 80% more CPU time than on a
> Windows XP system.
> On a Xeon 2.7GHz (Debian) linux I have checked, that using the .deb -
> i386 - Version of R instead of a self-build i686 - version has no
> noticeable effect on speed.
> Measuring CPU time with Rprof() instead of Sys.time()-differences yields
> similar results.

You are not measuring CPU time at all with Sys.time.