[Rd] 'CanMakeUseOf' field

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 29 22:21:33 CEST 2006

On 8/29/2006 4:13 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> This is a work around that is ok for the developer's testing and to
>>> prevent failure on CRAN, and I use it. But, other than actually
>>> reading the examples, it provides no hints to other testers or users
>>> about things that might be installed, or installed first, to give
>>> more complete testing and more functionality.
>>

>> I'm not saying to use this instead of Suggests, I'm saying to do both.
>> This way the Suggests entries really are suggestions:  the examples
>> will run with or without the presence of the suggested packages.
>>
>> I think there are so many variations on when a Suggested package
>> should be installed, that it's not reasonable to expect to be able to
>> encode them all in a machine readable way.  They should be documented
>> in human readable format.
>>
>>> Looking toward the future, I think it would be useful to have a
>>> standard mechanism to indicate extensions that are available in a
>>> package, and might be tested and used, but are not necessarily
>>> available on CRAN. For instance, an example might access to a
>>> purchased database or take advantage of  a computer cluster. It seems
>>> limiting to think that all testing that cannot be done on CRAN must
>>> be done almost exclusively by the developer.
>>

>> If by "mechanism" you mean human-readable documentation, I agree with
>> this.
>
> Yes,  I was think of human-readable and in a standard location, like a
> field in the DESCRIPTION file.  (You are thinking of fields in the
> DESCRIPTION file as human-readable, are you not?)

Yes, but I don't think that's necessarily the right place for this.
What we were going to do this summer was to make it easier to build
foo-package.Rd files, without duplication of the information in the
DESCRIPTION file.  I think that man page (or a man page linked from it)
would be the right place for a detailed discussion like this.

This doesn't address the problem of someone who hasn't got the package
installed yet, though perhaps CRAN could put a version of that man page
(or all of them) online for browsing.  Unfortunately this hasn't
happened yet, but maybe we'll get to it before 2.5.0.

Duncan Murdoch